Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 14

Well, I haven't had time to post daily as I'd hoped I would, but the girls have been doing great! They are eating canned food and soaked dry food very well, and from the very first time I introduced them to a bowl of water, they started drinking from it as if they'd been doing it for years and were old pros at it. They are daily becoming stronger and more coordinated, and yesterday started running successfully for the first time--well, Brigit is better at it than Siobhan is; Siobhan's still kind of a clutz. Also, their play fighting has evolved from haphazardly swiping their paws at each other and subsequently losing their balance to legitimate puppy grappling, complete with ear biting, bear hugs, and pinning each other to the ground. Brigit is usually the victor but every once in a while Siobhan gains the upper hand. Brigit is also the first to exhibit herding instincts, and has taken to herding her sister a lot lately. I really think she needs to go to a home where she will actually work as a herding dog.

They have been daily exposed to new sights, sounds, people, animals, ground textures, and they get manhandled (ears, feet, mouths, tails, tummies) several times each day. Today I felt they were coordinated and strong enough to go out into the backyard and run around on their own for the first time. I took my dog, Kody, out there as well and watched them explore the yard, Kody, and the kitty who has taken up residence in our back yard (don't worry; she's fully vaccinated and healthy). They had a great time, and wore themselves out. Thank god for mid-day puppy naps! Otherwise I'd never get anything done!

No comments:

Post a Comment